Part of improving a diet is changing our little daily rituals and habits.
Including fresh lemon water in the morning as part of your daily routine is a good start.
Ten benefits to drinking fresh lemon water daily:
- It is a natural disinfectant and so promotes fresher breath.
- It provides a natural energy boost along with hydration.
- It is a good source of vitamin C and helps with the absorption of iron.
- Although it acts as an acid in the stomach, once metabolized it becomes alkaline and helps maintain the PH balance in the blood and reduces acidity in the body. This can often help with joint pain and inflammation.
- As a natural diuretic, lemon juice is very healthy for the urinary tract, allowing for the quick elimination of body wastes and toxins.
- It helps to increase acidity in the stomach, speeding and improving the digestion of proteins. (Most people suffer from low HCL [hydrochloric acid], which can cause poor digestion of proteins, often resulting in heartburn and acid reflux due to putrefaction of foods sitting in the stomach.)
- It stimulates the gall bladder to eliminate wastes collected from the liver overnight through the excretion of bile. It is also a natural solvent for calcium, helping to inhibit the development of gallstones. An efficient gall bladder aids in the breaking down of fats, resulting in better digestive health.
- Lemon water provides a gentle, daily liver detox.
- It is a concentrated source of antioxidants that help to flush out toxins and free radicals from the cells, often leading to a noticeable difference in skin radiance.
- It tastes wonderful!
Fresh lemon water should be consumed fifteen minutes before anything else, first thing in the morning. It is also a nice pick-me-up mid afternoon. 8 oz of water and ½ small fresh squeezed lemon. It can be taken on its own, or for variety, lemon with warm water, fresh shaved ginger root and cayenne to stimulate and warm the whole system, especially in the winter. As an aside, drinking a large glass of water (lemon or otherwise) fifteen minutes before any meal will help curb the appetite and reduce overeating.